Re: [Harp-L] cool horn band with harp-Sister Sparrow NEW

rosco wrote:

Hey List-
this is a copy of a post I put on Facebook about Sister Sparrow and the
Dirty Birds. I LOVE this band...Jackson is already very good and after
speaking with him a little, I can tell he wants to continue improving.
Excellent harp in a band like this can only be good for our instrument!
The rant in the following review is one I've been harboring for the whole
23 years I've been playing harp live, first in a horn band, and then in a
rock band.
Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds:
We heard this great band for the second time in Grand Rapids Thursday. They
put on a rousing show once again. Go see them if you like talented, high
energy bands doing original music. You may not be able to see them in
smallish clubs for long, I can see them moving up. I will try to get them
in our area in the next few months---we'll see... <clip>

Yes, Rosco, I couldn't agree more. I wisely took your advice re: "Sister Sparrow" the first time you posted about them a few months ago. I was lucky enough to have them appear at an unlikely venue in a little mountain town nearby a mere day or two after your initial alert. They were hot! Jackson is very approachable and seemed eager to hear from other Harp-ler's. Arleigh is a singer of the first water and the horn section keeps the momentum going pretty much non-stop. I couldn't figure out how /I/ would try to fit in on harp with that powerful horn section but Jackson does a fine job. They were so tight that I asked Jackson who directs the band. He replied that they have lived and played together so long that they really don't need a leader. Apparently there are other family members in the band as well. To hear them, you'd think "they been playin' together since they's babies..." Maybe they have!

As Rosco suggests, catch them while you can and say hey to Jackson before they start playing stadiums and are protected by a wall of bodyguards.

Thanks again for the heads-up, Rosco.

Michelle