 From: Bob Cohen <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harp-L Digest, Vol 109, Issue 54

On Sep 20, 2012, at 2:33 PM, Scott Harris <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I believe Mr. Ford actually delivered all if the cars he sold.  If BH thought people were investing in a dream and not buying a product, he should have said that.  Otherwise, it's just stealin'.

This topic just won't go away. Not to trivialize the loss of money, but, IMO, HH's failure is about more than the loss of money by a relatively small number of harmonica enthusiasts.  It amounts to a collective scar among the harmonica community. We all hoped to participate in the next major harmonica innovation.

Now, we can't undo what happened. BUT we can labor to help those who lost their money. I propose harp-l creates a Harrison Harmonica Fund or maybe we could call it the Harp-l Fund. Its initial purpose would be to help those musicians financially injured by the company's untimely death. Subsequently, I'd like to create a SPAH scholarship fund in the name of Michael Polesky to bring in a very talented unknown player each year. Here's how I see it in broad strokes:

1. Compile a list of people who pre-ordered, paid in full, and did not receive an instrument.

2. Tally up the losses in dollars.

3. Organize a crowdfunding proposal and create the necessary mechanisms for collecting money

4. Pool harp-l's collective resources e.g.,

  a. Donatons
  b. Networking with our harmonica friends.

5. Set a target date for completion.

   a. If the fundraiser falls short of the total amount lost,
      all the people certified to be part of the "class"
      will agree to accept a percentage of the money. I

   b. If the amount collected exceeds the outstanding debt,
      I suggest we donate the money to a deserving player to
      attend SPAH's 50th Anniversary Convention next summer
      in the name of Michael Polesky.

What do you say? There's so much crap we can't fix. This we can. Let's turn lemons into lemonade!

Cheers,

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com
t: #itsabobworld

P.S., Scott, I think there'e a big difference morally between a start up business failing and purposefully bilking people out of money. I've seen no evidence, implied or explicit that lends any credence to the idea that Brad Harrison set out to steal money.