[Harp-L] Subject: Quirky Harmonica details

Dave Payne writes:

"There was a time, and I think it was right after that plating issue
mentioned above, that we switched to a new reed. We started with "FTP 9.0" FTP
stands for flex-point technology, and then we went to the second generation
reed, which we called FTP 10.1 or something. I can't remember.. but I
screwed up  and ordered "FTP 9.0" coverplates from the engraver. At that time,
production  was limited to the number of coverplates we could get made. We had
to use them.  Coverplates were like gold to us, we had such issues getting
them. So, there are  a few dozen B-radicals out there with the
second-generation reed that have the  first-generation "FTP 9.0" coverplates on them. It
was a screw up, yes, but I  damn glad I made it. It was an accident, but even
when I learned I'd screwed  that up, I realized the implications of it - I
am part of harmonica history.  Long after I'm gone,
there will be harmonicas out there that have some cool  little quirk that I
was entirely responsible for. I think that is incredibly  cool."

It is. My own Bb B-Radical has FTP 10.3 engraved on it so I know mine isn't
 one of those 'special' ones. Not sure about my C since it's somewhere I
can't  access right now. I've always appreciated your focus on and interest in
these  quirky little historical details about Harmonicas.

Elizabeth