[Harp-L] Re: VIDEO--Gregoire Maret with Herbie Hancock KKL Luzern 3.11.2008 - YouTube

Well, if I had to pick him apart, but objectively (meaning not looking for something to dislike)

 I would say -

 He's original, contemporary, and knows how to build a solo over a period of time.

 If I hear him, I'll know it's him, he has a distinct sound and approach. That's worth a lot..

 He's cutting edge, trying lots of different things, not sounding like a clone of anyone else. Also, he's got chops, I don't hear him tripping up over his ideas, everything comes out well articulated in general. Very professional, even if one doesn't care too much for the content.

  Usually when I improvise, I blow my wad after a couple of choruses. I can say "short and simple" or justify it somehow, but most jazz players, including my idols, especially live, would take 15 choruses on a tune, starting simply and building intensity to a climax, then wrapping it up. I don't hear too many harmonica jazz players doing that well or in an interesting manner, and he does.. once again, however you feel about the content.

   So those are a few things I can say. As far as Pat and Marcus and his resume - He moved to NYC, went to the New School (HUGE networking up) and busted his ass for years, starving and hustling. He did what none of us did. You can't expect to be known from the backwaters of FL or Northern CA.. He paid some dues (watch "Sideman", it's interesting).

   So - Do I want to listen to him? Not really. But it is an accident he is where he is? I don't think so. He's also got a good name and is a good looking guy, fitting into anybody's stereotype of what a jazz player should look like.

  Randy - I know it's hard, sometimes I get bitter and jealous of different musicians, trying to understand why they are popular or "successful" and others are not. It doesn't make any sense. But what helps me is to always try and be supportive and positive, and look for good things, especially when my mind is in heavy inventory mode. There's a million musicians we don't care for, it's all relative.

  Thanks for the clip! Educational…

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com
or enter my name in any search engine
http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic
http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm
Cell: 415 305 7138
Dakar - + 221 77 694 3985
Bissau - +245 517 6873
dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones