[Harp-L] crossover harmonica

Hi Wayne,

Though it seems counter intuitive I have found that playing fiddle tunes is
far harder on reeds than most other styles.  I believe the reason is
because unlike blues, rock or pop where one plays leads and fills, in the
playing of fiddle tunes in bluegrass and old time you are on the reed
throughout the tune, especially in old time. Add to that the increased
efficiency of the Crossover and the result is more wear with less effort -
a recipe for some sour harps. I found that years ago when I started
playing Sleigh and Filisko harps that they went out of tune faster than
stock harps, but they are so friggin' awesome that its well worth the
solution.  Ultimately the way I dealt with this was to learn how to work on
my own harps using Richard Sleigh's methods and tools (he's a GREAT
teacher!). The catch here is you need to be able to replace reeds and have
the stock to do it. I use the excellent Farrell tools that are no longer in
production and reed stock from 25 years of dead harps that occupy a very
large box. Though I find working on my harps rather tedious I also love
having control of my instrument. You might check with Richard - he offers
an excellent set of tools for reed work and may be able to recommend a
process whereby you can either swap reeds from old stock
or install individual reeds from some other source. A question to the
group, does Hohner sell individual reeds?

IMHO, Marine Bands have the sound and tuning that blends best with the
other members of a string band.

Trip

Message: 4