[Harp-L] Re: triple vs quadruple reed harps

Following up my suggestion that the XB-40's reed longevity was more down to
the 3-semitone relationship between blow and draw reeds in each chamber than
the comb design, I would be willing to bet that the reeds would not last
nearly as long if the two reeds in each resonance cavity were a semitone
apart.

Has anyone ever done any studies on reed life and the pitch difference
between reeds in a chamber? I mean specifically harmonica reeds of opposite
breath which couple together in the airstream to allow bending (ie.
non-valved). Essentially the XB-40 reeds are this type; as Rick points out,
the front valve acts to allow two reeds to come into the airstream in the
same way as a non-valved diatonic harp.

Brendan Power

WEBSITE: www.brendan-power.com <http://www.brendan-power.com/>

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/tethnik