 From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 6:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] would this work?

I was conservative in my estimates. Come to think of it, a tuning exists that tunes draw 1 up 2 semitones and Blow 1 down 2 semitones - Carlos Del Junco used it on his tune "B-thing." So on a C-harp you'd have Bb blow and E draw, and you can bend all the way down from E to B - five semitones. Maybe you could stretch this a bit farther, but an octave is beyond the limit.

Some things that influence how far a reed will bend include:

- The reed's stiffness (affected by its total length and how much of its total length has added weight that makes it less flexible)

- The reed's gap. A high gap will let it bend down farther (the higher-pitched reed), while a low gap will let it bend up farther in opening mode (the lower pitched reed).

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance