 From: Rick Epping <rickepping@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:20 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] triple vs quadruple reed harps

In regard to Richard's observations, the sole purpose of the XB-40's
internal valves and valve chambers is to isolate the auxiliary reeds from
all reeds playing in the opposite airflow direction, with which they might
otherwise sympathetically play when not wanted.  Indeed, this is the basis
for my patent, as stated in the following relevant section:

"The use of a single auxiliary reed mounted flush over a slot in a cell for
bending has been suggested before this invention and no claim is made to
this invention.  However, such feature is unsatisfactory when multiple
adjacent cells are used in a harmonica because of undesirable sympathetic
vibration of reeds in adjacent cells. The use of enabler reed valves
eliminates this problem and makes possible the improved harmonica of this
invention."

I believe that the unusually high longevity of the XB-40's reeds is
due partly to
its comb design, which forces the airflow through the valve slots before it
reaches the reeds, thereby creating the Venturi effect of both reducing the
airflow's pressure while increasing its speed.  This reduction of air
pressure on the reeds should help prevent their being driven past their
elastic limit.

Winslow's point that each normal reed has a responder, or auxiliary reed to
act as a shock absorber is also valid.  And it's not simply that the
auxiliary reeds act as shock absorbers.  I tend to believe that playing a
reed in an environment which allows it to oscillate closest to its natural,
or plucked frequency, is less likely to stress it than in other, less than
optimal environments.  In 2003, I conducted an experiment in which I
incrementally retuned the pitch of an accordion reed over a range of nine
semitones, measuring its effect on the pitch of the opposing reed in its
chamber.  I found that the opposing reed tended to play at its highest
frequency - that is, closest to its natural frequency, when paired with a
reed tuned lower than itself.  I conducted a similar experiment at this
time, where I tested the performance of a harmonica's draw reeds when
mounted with blow reed plates from various keys ranging from lower to
higher than that of the draw reed plate.  Once again, the draw reeds
performed best and played at their highest frequency when matched with blow
reeds tuned lower than themselves.  Better even than when they were matched
with reeds tuned to the same pitch and better than when the opposing reed
was isolated from the airstream by a valve.  This phenomenon can also be
noticed on a standard, un-valved Richter harp, where the draw reeds in
holes 1 through 6, which are paired with reeds tuned lower than themselves,
play more easily and require less offset relative to their
flexibility and pitch than do the draw reeds in holes 7 through 10, which
are paired with reeds tuned higher.

Best regards,

Rick