To: "harp-l" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Big River - quality and some easy fixes

Big Rivers have longer reeds than the Hohner "classics" (aka handmade) - Marine Band models, SP20, Golden Melody. This translates into a more robust (but less nuanced) tone that really shows up in a big way in the lower keys.

I spent quite awhile playing MS harps aand was favorably impressed with them. They customized very well. The "unplayable" factor that some folks have experienced may be due to sloppy assembly.

One easy thing you can do to improve a leaky harp: remove the covers, then loosen the reedplate screws. Make sure the reedplates are in alignment, then re-tighten the reedplate screws, but not beyond where the screwdriver resists finger pressure. Re-instal the covers, and you may find a significant improvement. (Gapping will help, but just re-tightening the reedplate screws is way up there,

MS plates are drilled or five screw holes, but only two or three are used on most models. By installing all five screws you can also improve airtightness. For the screws toward the ends of the reedplate, you may also need to drill through the comb. You can use the self-tapping MS screws if you have them, or American 0-80 screws (which have a compatible diameter and thread) if you don't.

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance

________________________________ From: Michael Rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx> To: "mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; "fssharp@xxxxxxxxx" <fssharp@xxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 6:47 AM Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Big River

I think so and the leader certainly thought so.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 8:11 AM, mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <