Re: [Harp-L] Over-priced Custom Big Rivers and the Future of the Blues

Tom,

Kind thanks for the mention and I agree with most of what you are saying, but must quibble a little with you on custom harps. No offense obviously, this is a great discussion and really exciting and much better than when people attack each other personally on other some other forums that will not be named.

I will tell you why I do what I do today. The whole reason I now make a living at making harmonica parts/harmonicas is because I felt that as a player, about 10 years ago, that my stock harps were HOLDING me back. I did not feel that I could achieve my full potential of tonal ability and agility by playing stock harps any longer. So I spent the next several years obsessively chasing the better playing harp and it has transformed into a full time job, but also has made be a much better player!!! One of the biggest examples is that I transitioned to full tongue blocking and I could not bend the lower notes well. With customs I CAN. Now I am sure there are better players that can, but man it sure was easier learning that with a nice setup harp. Plus, I cannot describe the pure joy I get from going out to our shop, hand crafting a perfect harmonica comb and customizing a harmonica that plays light years better than the stock harmonica.

The GM that Mike Fugazzi was selling that you mentioned was not just a custom setup---it had a full overblow/overdraw setup which is crazy hard to do and in comparable terms that same caliber of harp is sold by Joe Spiers for $300 plus. The benefit of that harmonica is that it opens up all kind of extra notes and bends that are impossible to get on a stock harp (somewhat like the new Suzuki). So in that instance, I think it does make you a better player. Just listen to Todd Parrott rip through the overbends and I think most would agree. He using specially designed Spiers overbend harps to do that and even a player of his caliber could not make a stock GM do that!

Here are a few examples to make my point about why customs can make you a better player, in my humble opinion:

Example 1: I had a student recently that could not nail the 3 bend. We did a lesson on bending, then the 2^nd lesson I opened up his harp and customized draw 3. He hit the bend instantly and almost cried because he was so relieved. I think that is a case in point where custom or custom work does make the player better. Coincidentally, my first lesson with any student now involves about 15 minutes of me taking apart their harmonica and re-gapping the first 6 reeds for free. I want to give them any edge I can.

Example 2: I love low harps, but it is impossible to play them well stock or get the volume you need. Richard Sleigh built me a Low A double plated and the thing is crazy loud and responsive. Not even a Thunderbird plays that well. This really expands my repertoire because it allows me to sound different than other players with low octaves. No other player, no matter what skill (and we live in a town with Joe Lee Bush, a Little Walter mentee) can match me on those low harps in volume unless they buy a custom one. No way stock low harps just don't cut the room. Now a stock D harp sure, but not lows.

Example 3: Have you ever played a custom from the Filisko guild? I would be interested to see if you felt the same way after playing one. Someone let me play their Filisko D harp once and not only was it the most responsive harp I had ever played, but it had sick tone and was 3 times as loud as any stock marine band or deluxe. You can audibly hear the volume and tonal differences in acoustic and amplified settings. A louder harp is certainly easier to play and doesn't really require much force. Plus there are huge tonal differences. You can really hear it. Which, according to Rupert Oysler's fabulous dvd, the secret to Little Walter's tone was that he played so softly. Allowing the harp to have its natural warm tone. If you have a really loud custom harp, you can achieve that kind of tone because you are not flattening the notes that much. I think that makes you a better player too! Unfortunately, Joe no longer takes orders, but I believe Richard and Jimmy Gordon do, although long waits to get one.

Example 4: I built a custom GM for a customer and he emailed me two weeks later and said that he had been playing in the same bar for years weekly and for the first time a customer came up and asked what so special about that harmonica. It sounded so different than the others. It was a custom C with overblow setup and as he said, much louder than a stock GM and allowed him to get some nice extra notes with the overblows.

Example 5: I build custom harps for a pro player in Atlanta that gigs multiple times per week. He is a fast hard tongue blocker and was blowing out harps every 3-4 months or so. The ones I build him last years (sans a few re-tunes) and he tells me they are a lot louder and that they never stick. Which was a problem with his stocks. So I would assert that having a "stick free" harp would make you a better player. Plus, he tells me that he only needs half the amount of exertion (vs. a stock) so he is actually able to be more nimble and play faster on customs. I think that is a good example of making a player better.

Lastly, I know some people will not believe this. But, if you are a decent player (that does not play too hard) good custom harps should last you longer than stock. I'm not going to give away all of, my trade secrets, but at the very least a well gapped harmonica doesn't have to swing as widely in the slot, creating some stress relief on the reed and extending its life. By the way, reed gapping is the hardest thing to do on a custom. It has taken me years to do it well. That is the true Tao of custom harmonica.

I think that when you get at a proficient playing level, it is a good idea to try customs to see what is possible because it can really enhance your playing. But really a C harp should be easy enough stock. Get an A or a G or a Low F, then you will be amazed how much easier they are and how much fun you can have. I know a lot of good players that avoid lower keyed harps just because they are harder to play stock. If you go to my website, our slogan is "Helping you become the harmonica player you want to be." Everything we do is designed to help you unlock your potential as a player, whether you have me build a custom or you buy the parts to build your own.

So, it is a good idea to learn the basics of flat sanding, installing a flat comb, and reed gapping. Rupert's DVD is the best resource out there and while I do many things differently, it does give any starter a good idea of what to do! BUT customizing is a difficult trade, the DVD will not make you a pro. And so, at some point make it will make a difference in your playing if you buy a good custom. If that was not the case, I don't think you would go to many customizers sites and see them list wait times of several months.

No offense to anyone and thanks again for the nice words Tom. I know you are a numbers business man by trade and it is nice to see your perspective here.

Matthew Smart

www.hetrickharmonica.com