Re: [Harp-L] Silk purse from sow's ear.

Big Rivers came out in about 1993 (I have a Hohner dealer video) and had a list price of about $10.

The Big River is a modular system (MS) harp, meaning it is machine made, not hand made. About the same time as the Big River came out, Hohner started selling reed plate sets. But the Big River was discounted by dealers and the reed plate sets weren't. So it was cheaper to buy a Big River, take out the reed plates and install them in another MS harp.

I don't know how many people did this, or still do this -- but I figure if I knew about it then everybody else already knew about it. And those going through a lot of reed plates were taking advantage of it.

And if the Big River is in the MS family, it is probably as good as the rest of the line: Special 20 and Blues Harp etc. The only dfference being the combs and covers. All of them assembled with screws, not nails.

hope this helps
Phil Lloyd