[Harp-L] The Future of Blues Harmonica?

I am enjoying the discussion about the SUB-30.  It's sort of comical.  When
was the last time the entire harmonica community agreed about anything?

Tongue Blocking vs. Lip Pursing

Chromatic vs. Diatonic

Wood combs vs. metal combs vs. plastic combs

Which is the best amp?

Which is the best microphone?

Who is the greatest harmonica player living or dead?

And the list goes on and on....

Here's my take.  Most people are disappointed with the out of the box
quality but excited about the potential.  Customizers are probably even
excited about the quality because it highlights the need for their services.
I think the quality will get better.  If you look at the timing, I think
Suzuki wanted to get at least some SUB-30's out in time for SPAH.  They did.
The SUB-30 that I have has a Manji reed plate on the bottom.  It looks like
Suzuki built as many as they could out of whatever parts that were
available.   And it has created a lot of attention.  Did Suzuki make a
mistake and jump the gun? Or is it pure genius?  Every online forum is abuzz
with conversations about the SUB-30.   And like everything else, it has its
detractors and its supporters.  We've already seen several different
alternative ways to set up the SUB-30 to suit different styles of play.  At
the very least, it has opened new possibilities for creating beautiful music
much the same as overblows and valved harmonicas have.  Is it expensive?
Yes, but I expect prices to come down as Suzuki employs the economy of scale
to find more efficient ways to mass produce this design.  As quality goes up
and prices go down the sUB-30 will find its way into the hands of more and
more harmonica players.  As more SUB-30's enter the market, talented players
and customizers will discover unknown hidden potential for this design -
just as the pioneers of The Blues discovered second position.  Think "Snow
Ball Effect".   My bet is that it is here to stay.

Tom Halchak

www.BlueMoonHarmonicas.com

Clearwater, FL

=======