Re: [Harp-L] The Future of Blues Harmonica?

Mike, thank you for your review - it confirms my "suspicion" that it is a version of the xb40 - better or worse is to be determined by playing it, of course. I'd probably like the smaller size, but as a player of xb40, I got to tell you that hohner really works great out of the box, I love my xb40. Good to know that if rumors of xb40's demise are true, we have at least a somewhat passable option, although the price really does not sit well with me. BTW, my xb40 in C has years of hard play on it by now - it became my main instrument of choice, and no performance issues whatsoever!
Mike.

________________________________
 From: Mike Fugazzi <mikefugazzi@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>; mik jagger <harpomatic@xxxxxxxxx>; harpomatic@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The Future of Blues Harmonica?

The most noticeable difference is that the it is the size of a standard diatonic.  I have a SUB30 in A that I removed the valves on holes 1-4 on and taped of the extra reeds on 1-4 (draw reeds on the top plate).  It plays a lot better, but you lose notes on those holes, then.  I was ok with that as I was more concerned with the middle and top octaves.  The 1 and 4 overblow play well, IMO.

The more I think about it, it plays like a Special 20 from the 90's...like right before they switched to stainless steel cover plates.  It is a very mellow and warm tone (dark), even after heavy tweaking of the reeds and slots.  The top octave plays well save hole 10, which I need to tweak more for the blow bends.  I am pleased with how it plays holes 4-9.  I think 3 responds well now, but is still a tad stiff.  1 and 2 play and bend fine, but feel a little soft for me.  I am not sure tweaking gaps would really solve that.   The new bends on 10 are a lot more like an overdraw than you'd think, but are easy than a regular valve bend, IMO.

I like it a lot more than a week ago, lol.  The new bends seem to be void of any extra noise or issue.  I would like to try it with different valve material at some point, though.  I will totally play it and gig with it if given the chance.  I should make it clear that I did spend a good chunk of time 1-2 hours tweaking it using very advanced techniques (beyond just gapping and embossing).

I have tried the XB40, but don't own one.  I remember that harp being louder and brighter than the SUB30.

Mike