Re: Fw: [Harp-L] Suzuki Sub30 Ultrabend -- Review

I agree with Elizabeth's assessment of the SUB30.  I was able to get one
pre-SPAH and then do some work on it with Brendan.  The versions he had -
which were an early prototype and a Promaster(?)  were exceptional Richter
harmonicas.  They played amazingly well.  The SUB30 is much breathier and
was more prone to noise out of the box.  While at SPAH, I was able to
emboss the the slots and then go through the profiles with Brendan.   It
plays better, but would need a substantial amount of work to reach the same
playability of his harps.

It can be done, but you might reach a point of diminishing returns at some
point...like customizing a B-Rad.  If you are paying $185 for the harp and
then having to take the time to tweak it (or get it customized), is it
worth it?  As a straight Richter harp, it doesn't play as well as harps at
a lower price point.  Compared to a similarly priced custom overbend harp
(which gives you more asthetic options, tuning options, and model options),
you'll have a better Richter harp and the ability to hit the same "extra"
notes if you learn the technique (which isn't that hard if you are
 proficient bender and have a good harp to use).

I love the idea of this harmonica and thing there is definitely a niche for
it.  I think the quality of the harps Brendan had is fantastic.  The
question them becomes - do you spend the same amount of time and money on a
SUB30 or an overbend harmonica?  You could also go the valve route.  My
initial reaction was this could be a valve-killer, but I don't think this
will be the case, and it is amazing to have so many options.  Of all the
"new" harp designs, this one is probably the one I wish had existed when I
first started playing (it is less work for me to overbend at this point).