Re: [Harp-L] reply, Song chords

In terms of the copyright issue; the last I checked only pre-1924 songs are in the public domain in the U.S. The current copyright law  also controls arrangements.  Chord charts are legal because chords can't be copyrighted. But once lyrics and/or melody lines or notation are included, the copyright law comes into play.

FYI: check with a copyright attorney for the current status of the law in the U.S. or elsewhere Also, it seems every time Mickey Mouse is threatened with going into the public domain, Congress updates the copyright law to protect poor Mickey.

Fake books are available in every genre from bluegrass, blues to broadway. in addition to the general interest fake books. If you are in the market for a fake book, there are several on line indexes or indices that allow searching several fake books. This is a lot easier than checking the contents of individual books.

However, some  fake books feature chords (vanilla chords) that were in the original composition and others chords as frequently performed.  The other issue with fake books is that they only list the chord name or not spell the notes that make up that chord. C is not spelled out as CEG; C7 is not spelled out as C E G Bb -- the fake books assume the reader knows the notes in a given chord and does not spell it out.

I don't think there is any SPAH archive anywhere. Any archives of arrangements likely belong to individuals who used to or perhaps perform in harmonica bands. Some legal band arrangements are commercially available -- although they are not specifically arranged for harmonia bands.

Al Smith might be a good resource person in this regard with his vast knowledge and experience about arrangements,

Hope this helps,

Phil Lloyd