RE: [Harp-L] The Value of Practicing Scales [or not?]

Practising scales and arpeggios is not necessary if your bent is playing Irish tunes. The tunes are already full of bits of scales and arpeggios. When you play the tunes you are practising scales and arpeggios already and doing it in a far more useful context than just scales, etc., in isolation.  It's good to find tunes which can be played in second, third, fourth and twelfth positions as well as first, as this will accustom you to just about all the blow-draw patterns you'll ever need for Irish tunes. I can't speak for all the genres I'm not familiar with, of course!