[Harp-L] injection molded combs

Tom Halchak writes:

"Maka asked if there was a way to flatten the recessed combs of Special 20's
and/or Lee Oskars.  There might be a way to do it, but it would probably
require a piece of equipment that would cost ten times more than the
harmonica.  The injection molded plastic recessed combs are probably the
worst offenders (my opinion) but the leaks are cleverly hidden from view by
the lip that surrounds the comb.  "

At least with Lee Oskars I cannot disagree with this enough.  Actually, I've never noticed much leakiness with Special 20s, but I haven't played or bought those in years.  I have bought many Lee Oskars over the years and several recently.  They have always been airtight.  Always.  This is primarily a question of the quality of the molding and the material used (there are better and worse plastics to use for injection molding--the ones used by Lee Oskar, Suzuki and Hering have never given me any problems).  LOs are usually decently gapped as well, but any "leakiness" I've found on one is a gapping issue.

"You might be surprised to learn that regardless of the material, the
devotees of each material use virtually the same adjectives to describe the
differences in how their harp plays after installing a new comb. "

Which to me indicates that they are hearing what they want to hear regardless of the material.  More often than not, we look for things to confirm our biases.  It's really hard to get out of your own ear.

"Even the most ardent skeptic would have to acknowledge that it is unlikely
that all these people are crazy."

A nice strawman.  They aren't crazy, but they are hearing what they expect to hear.  Doesn't mean what they're hearing is real and can be shown. Doesn't mean what they're hearing isn't real and can't be shown (though it hasn't been yet).  Doesn't mean much either way.

"Another facet of the comb discussion that has been discussed before is
thickness.  We could start a whole other debate about that. "

Comb thickness is basically a factor of chamber size.  How chamber size effects the performance of a harmonica is an interesting thread.  Chambers can have an effect at times (see some of the resonance issues with regards the XB-40).  Are the sizes enough to have an effect?  Hard to say.  I doubt the small differences mentioned here would have a huge effect, but it's possible.

"In closing it my opinion (no scientific proof) that generally speaking
installing a custom comb can potentially deliver four primary benefits:
1.	Flatter combs make a better seal which reduces leaks and makes the
harp more responsive;
2.	Waterproof combs don't swell or warp reducing the likelihood of
leaks developing in the future;
3.	Comfort.  Custom combs typically have rounded edges making them more
comfortable on your lips, tongue and hands;
4.	Style.  Custom combs are available in a rainbow of colors and they
just plain look good;
5.	Identification. Many of my customers use different color combs (and
covers) to create a key coding system which makes it easier to grab the
right harp when they need it."

All good reasons to buy a comb, or buy a harmonica with a well made comb in the first place.

It's funny, lately I've seen a lot of posts seeming to except as fact that injection molded combs are inferior.  I don't know where or when this began, but it's a change from where the consensus tended to be ten or fifteen years ago.  And not a logical one I can see.

JR Ross