[Harp-L] Comb Test

Thanks to Shirley for weighing on from the reso community. Analogous controversies (the effect of comb material on harmonica tone) exist in regards to other instruments as well. Banjoists will spend hours arguing about the tonal contribution of every component of a banjo, from the exact alloy used in the bell brass of the tone ring of a pre-war Mastertone, to the wood used in the wooden rim the tone ring sits in (one company markets wood that has been submerged in one of the Great Lakes for over one hundred years, the idea being that being submerged for that period alters the tonal properties of the wood). Apparently, not only can the composition of the frets apparently make a difference, some say that the total mass of the neck can make a difference.  Though mass produced tin whistles should all sound the same, they don't, and many player spend hours going through the bins looking for the "right" one. Theoretically, the column of air doesn't care what it vibrates in (I read an explanation by an actual scientist, though I don't remember which one), yet most players will tell you differently (see Dale Wisely's wonderful site, Chiff and Fipple). Two factors not yet noted regarding combs are turbulance caused by the relative smoothness of the material  channeling air to the reed and the absorbency of the material, effecting the amount of spit in the channel (not pleasant, but true). Time for work now. None of this makes any difference to my boss. Cheers, emily
Woman is 57 But Looks 27
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/508eb05b8040305a3681st01vuc