Re: [Harp-L] harmonicas are not guitars

Coverplates have more of a direct impact on "tone", IME.  If you have a few
different models from a company, you can try this out yourself.  For
example, take a Marine Band and try it with SP20 covers.  Then compare the
two to a harp without any covers on it.  Harps like the Promaster or
Firebreath have full-length covers, and they are coated.  That dampens a
lot of sound. I personally prefer open and vented covers.

The second biggest bang for the buck, when comparing apples to apples, in
changing timbre and tone is the reed and reed slot work.  This is a VERY
personalized thing.

IME, the change in tone and timbre when using an aftermarket comb primarily
comes from increased airtightness, although the overall dimensions and
design of a comb can change what the player hears.  IMO, the change in
PERFORMANCE from a custom comb is the most important factor to consider,
and not a change in tone.

At SPAH a well known individual rudely interrupted a presentation I was
doing and asserted that combs had no impact on performance or tone.  He
asserted that you could use a peanut butter sandwich as a comb and as long
as the reed work was great it would play great as he turned around and
left.  While part of me assumes no malice and he just thought it humorous
to play devil's advocate for a minute, I felt compelled to prove this
assertion wrong.

Rather than take a peanut butter sandwhich, I simply loosened the screws on
a harp to make it less air tight.  I played poorly compared to when it was
assembled correctly on a flat comb.  Having a leaky harp made it impossible
to overbend and the sound was much weaker and airier.  When tightened, it
overblew very well and sounded louder and more focused...the comb was the
same both times.  The change in tone and playability was because I made the
harp more airtight, and not because of comb material.

Bottom line, I use combs based on performance and not tonal quality.