Re: [Harp-L]Comb tes

I have to say I love this discussion. It if fun to watch people with such
strongly held position as well as thinking about the physics. I am not that
good at it but it is fun to think about. So here is an experiment I would
like to try but do not have the skills. What would happen if the reeds were
put on a wooden reed plate? I would guess that the tone would be effected.
If so there should be some level of effect with the solidness (that's a
technical term) of the comb and reed plate combo. Maybe that is not
resonance. But maybe it is something.

I have experimented with custom combs. I like aluminum and corian. My
personal theory is that they promote preferential vibrations to my mouth
that I interpret as part of my sound experience as I play. I do
not prefer plastic though I like solid rather than standard hollow combs.
Brighter and louder are my experience. I have also found that custom combs
make a performance improvement. Interestingly I have a Manji Bb and a pro
harp A. When I switched the combs both of them played better. Was it my the
comb materials with the different keys of was it my screw tightening? Who
knows but I am  happier.

Derwood