[Harp-L] Randy Singer @ the Van Dyke Cafe

I got a chance to see Randy Singer with his band last night at the Van Dyke
Cafe in Miami.   Great stuff.  His band was filled with killer musicians
across the board... keys, bass, drums and percussion (no guitar), plus
Randy on diatonic and chromatic.  They did an interesting mix of pop, jazz,
funk and reggae, most of which I thought worked very well.  Randy's playing
and singing were both right on point... I particularly liked a diatonic
(played chromatically) solo he did on Sting's "Fragile."  He's also an
engaging bandleader and frontman.  I wish I had the chance to talk with
him, but they didn't take a break while I was there and I was exhausted.

The previous night I went to jazz jam at Churchill's Pub, led by guitarists
Fernando Ulibarri and Mike Wood... they had a group of killer musicians and
charismatic, talented vocalists.  I played "Georgia On My Mind" and "All of
Me" and had a generally great time.

I recommend either of these venues for visitors to Miami.

Scott Albert Johnson
--
*"Umbrella Man leaves no stone unturned. Scott Albert Johnson's debut mixes
blues, rock, folk and jazz, unified by first-rate harmonica playing." (Maureen