[Harp-L] bluegrass chop?

Been getting into bluegrass and Celtic more....but......I have the darnest time playing a simple chop like the mandolin for more than a minute or two ( now I know why the mandolin player moved away from me at the last jam session I sat in on ).
  Is this as simple as turning on the metronome, and practicing? Or should I just lay out? WWCCD? ( What would Cara Cooke do ).....
What do you guys do when at a bluegrass jam session?

Brian