Subject: Re: [Harp-L] 20 years ago today harp-l began

So I'm only 11 years behind you, George? <G> I joined up  somewhere around
the Fall of 2004 after being introduced to the list by Steve  Webb. My first
trepidatious (there's a new one for you, David Payne):) foray  onto harp-l
was met with the most specific and full answers to  my newbie/silly
questions by Winslow--I'll never forget his kindness.

 Over the years I've watched him maintain that same level of  equanimity
and extreme patience despite some occasionally trying circumstances.  Getting
to meet him at the first Convention I attended was a huge plus. He  proved
to be every inch the gentleman inherent in his writings.  It's always
wonderful to put faces to the written 'voices' on the ell. I met  Jason too very
soon after-- first being drawn to his posts and then fortuitously  being able
to attend a show of his here on Long Island; where Warren Bee was  also in
attendance--Spring of 2005...so we all became personally acquainted
simultaneously.

I was so astounded by Jason's talents and skill--one of my main two
memories of that night was of Warren and me turning and gaping at each  other over
Jason's astounding level of brilliance--while many of  the others there
simply weren't fully aware of what they were hearing (the bane  of being a
harmonica person)...but as soon as I met Jason during his break  we became
bonded friends--for life.

Going to Buckeye and SPAH later--with the 'harp-l meeting Wednesday; look
for Michael at the Bar with the Renny'--were amazing times. Michael Polesky,
 whom I knew saved harp-l's files but never fully realized was one of  the
original owners, became another 'instant' friend. What an  absolute
sweetheart of a guy--and a helluva musician. Through the  years I'd see him here and
there at conventions; later on with  his beautiful family in tow--but I was
so privileged to have Michael sit  companionably with me for hours before
his last hugs and tearful goodbye--just  a few short days before he died
after playing at the  Garden State Harmonica Festival last November. I can't
imagine what it cost him  to make that trip with his family and Jazzmaan David
Fairweather in order to  play just one more time and to see and say goodbye
to old friends. His dueting  with David onstage (and after) were priceless.
I followed Michael around  and filmed him as surreptitiously as I could. No
one's yet seen the footage  since I can't yet watch it through without
tearing up. I'll always miss  him...the most special soul.

Through harp-l and the conventions I was made privy to because of it, I've
made so many life-time friends. You all know who you are. There are a
scattered few of the other kind too--some long since left, a  couple still
around who berated me on and off list for, I suspect: 'daring  to post while
being female'.<G> Takes all kinds, I guess. But the  real men of the list never
minded behaving well and being fully welcoming both  on and offlist. Bobbie
G, Michelle and Cara were the only other regular women  posters during those
years. The harmonica-centric life I live now with my  ostensible stage
fright easing a bit more every day thanks to so many  I can't count --wouldn't
have remotely  come about without harp-l and fjm at the helm. Like Bob I'm
very  grateful and wishing the ell a Happy Birthday/20th Anniversary.

Elizabeth

"Message: 7