[Harp-L] Re: Self Image

I wanted to add something a few days ago but got too busy to reply from my original post.

I dont' look down on others that can figure out a song note for note.
The only reason I don't try to learn it is that I couldn't for the most part so I gave up and decided to put my
own take on standards.

I forget the head to songs the Walters, Cotton and Butterfield played who were my biggest diatonic influences.
All I could pick up from them is articulation and phrasing. Forget it when it came to learning licks or phrases.

There are tools available now for musicians like myself to learn from.
Along with the slow down devices and books on how to free the thought process there is a great app for smartphones and pads.

It is called Relative Pitch and is available in the iTunes App Store. I've had it for about 2 years now.

The app has lessons on learning how to listen to notes and identify them . Listening for Perfect Octaves
Major 7ths, Minor 6th, Major 6th, Perfect 5ths, Tritones, Perfect 4ths, Major 3rd, Minor 3rds, Tone, Semitones and Unison.
It gives demonstrations on hearing the differences and then test you to pick the right answers when you are ready.

You can go back to the lessons for overviews. It will produce piano tones so you can ear train the difference in steps.
I think this is very helpful in trying to work out a melody without having the sheet music available or improvising in a way that the
notes or phrases you hear in your head can automatically transfer to the harp without guesswork.

This app can be useful for both diatonic and chromatic as well as most instruments you are trying to master your way around.
Great if you are learning to sing as well.

Give it a try if you are trying to incorporate new teaching aids on your instrument.
You can even use it at work with earbuds and no one will know you are practicing on the job.

The full version is $6.99 but they do have a freebee version. I noticed there are other interval training apps as well. Both
free and paid. Check them out.

Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com