[Harp-L] Lennon's Hey, Baby! moment

Delbert McClinton sets record straight on teaching Lennon harmonica
By WADE TATANGELO
The Bradenton Herald

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/02/3844197/delbert-mcclinton-sets-record.html

"Love Me Do" was released in 1962, but another harmonicist had a Beatles encounter with "From Me To You", released in 1963. Douglas Tate was never certain which musician they actually used on the recording, but I know he suspected strongly it was Lennon after they heard how he'd do it for them, and they took it from there. Doug once said, but I won't quote him exactly here, that they were sort of rowdy and pretty difficult to deal with, but he did admire that those kids definitely knew EXACTLY the sound results they wanted, even then at such young age.

The main difference, I suppose, is McClinton does continue to down-play (almost deny) what really happened while obviously still getting a satisfying kick out of the constant buzz about the connection he briefly had with the Beatles. As for Douglas, he was shy to bring it up at all to anyone not close to him, even seeming a little embarrassed about working with rock 'n' rollers when he was so immersed in classical music, (or maybe that's just my take on it.) Still, as I implied, he also gave 'the boys' all the props pretty much for what they worked hard for and accomplished.

Personally, I believe John Lennon was enamored big time with the harmonica sound, and most likely always wanted to be the one in the band who handled harp duties. I know we've had Harp-L discussions over the years about whether it was a chromatic or diatonic on "From Me To You", but can't recall if there was ever a consensus - maybe someone like Winslow remembers if that question ever got answered?

Bobbie G