Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 10:48:07 +0100
From: Steve Shaw <moorcot@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Practice makes better : part 5 record yourself
To: harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

I agree with you, but would also point out that many people freeze in front of a
microphone, even when alone at home. I'm one of 'em. I try to record on my Zoom
H4 some of the Irish tunes I provide with my Harmonica World articles, for the
NHL website, and I hardly ever end up even remotely happy with what I've done. I
think there's something going on in the head that's hard to defeat: you know
you're going to listen back, and you know that you are going to be your own most
strident critic. That is excellent, of course, but it can also stop you from
playing at your best. I always feel really happy to be playing my jigs and reels
in my natural habitat, i.e. sitting round a table down the pub! I think it's
important to record yourself in the setting in which you play as well as in the
clinical environment of your home, in front of that deadly recording machine.
You don't want to be constantly hearing only stuff that makes you feel that
you're next to useless.
Having said that, I've found that two areas in particular always flag themselves
up when I listen back to my recordings: does my sense of internal rhythm/timing
need working on? Is my playing "flat" and can I do something to give my music
more "lift?"