[Harp-L] NotJust Another Amp Question

     Over the past 40 years of playing out I've used a number of amps for both harp and guitar in a blues band context. Most of these have two channels with separate volume and tone controls. Once I find something that works for me, I tend pretty much stick with it, so my choices may not appeal to some players looking for the latest options, but here's what I use today.
     Top of the list is the Silvertone Twin Twelve. I've owned a couple of these amps over the years and they never let me down.  I disconnect the reverb because it's too wimpy, but the rest of the electronics with the original Jensen speakers and NOS tubes give me all the tone I want. I use either channel for harp, but Channel Two has more oomph. Pedals for delay or reverb work well with this amp.
     Another favorite is the Gibson Les Paul GA-40, though you won't find one that is cheap in price. Separate volume controls for each channel, though the tone control functions for both. Channel One (Microphone input) is what I use for harp. Channel two has tremolo for the guitar. You can hook up pedals or an outboard reverb unit if you have to have it - I use a Premier tube unit.
     I've used Fender Pro Reverbs and Fender Super Reverbs also with good results, but the weight factor caused me to look for something a little lighter. The nice thing about the Silvertone is that you can carry the amp head separately from the speakers if your back complains. As an alternate to the dual twelve inch speakers I've used the head with a home-made cabinet with four tens, and it's pretty damn close to Bassman tone.
     I'm pretty sure many of the newer amps with two channels would work just as well. Price is always a factor, but you can often find a good deal on a Twin Twelve. Even if it's not working, a competent amp tech can get it up and running - the circuit is pretty straight forward.  Also, it has an AC outlet, handy when wall sockets are scarce, so you can plug in another amp, a lamp, or any outboard device that doesn't run on batteries.
     If I'm in a situation where I'm only playing harp I tend to use the same amps. One never knows...
Pete Sheridan
Jukester's Harmonica Supplies
www.petesheridan.net

Woman is 57 But Looks 27