From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-L list <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Nov 30, 2012 12:57 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Rhythm and Timing

RHYTHM AND TIMING
Most students begin with a very good sense of the beat, and we invest our
time in harp-specific techniques. But sometimes there one with an irregular
presentation of counting.

Here are some ways we work to refine the awareness of rhythm.

   - Student to SPEAK the count of 1-2-3-4 while I play to drum tracks
   - TAP their foot, as above. Then TAP to their own playing
   - We SLOW the tempo extremely to "magnify" the space between beats
   - INCREASE gradually the tempo of drum machine while they play a
   repeating pattern correctly
   - WRITE the tempo started, and the tempo achieved to measure progress
   - RECORD them playing to drum tracks, and
   - LISTEN to results, asking them to self-evaluate specifically.

Other ideas you have used successfully?

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate
Learn Harmonica by Webcam