Re: [Harp-L] Inapproriate playing

The worst time I was "Gus ed" was here in Scotland, at an "open mic"  only
a few months ago...It was in a pub, miles from anywhere, in a  suburb some
miles from Glasgow. There was a folk singer playing  harmonica on a rack and
guitar... He did his 3 songs... Then after a few more  performers, I went on
stage with an acoustic guitarist to play OUR three  songs...
Half way through the first tune... I thought "My GOODNESS... I'm not
playing that garbage!"... The other guy who already had his "3 songs" was
playing harp OVER my harmonica... It spoiled the whole thing for  me.
If he had said: "Can I sit in with you both" It would have been FINE.
We could have taken turns.. But he made a terrible noise... Which put  me
off what I was playing. Perhaps I am over sensitive, but it RUINED my
evening!
In my opinion, people should NEVER play any musical instrument while  other
artists are playing, without ASKING FIRST... And if the artists  agree, the
guest should get up on stage, and wait to be directed  to an available
mic... If the artists say "NO"... JUST DO NOT DO  IT!
There was also another drunk,... when playing at a bar called  "Prince of
Denmark" in South London. Oh, 10 or 15 years ago... We  called the bar "The
Prince of Darkness".... It was that grim.. A drunk  staggered over.. Grabbed
one of my harmonicas... and said "Hey...I play the  mouth organ" and started
playing a C# harp in a tune that was in  "E"...
I managed to get the drunk off the stage...  I said "Keep the  harmonica "
He said "Will you sign it for me?" I said... NO.

Johhn "Whiteboy" Walden,
English harmonicist,
Just now in Bonnie Scotland.