Re: [Harp-L] mic. advice

HiZ or LowZ has nothing to do with using the mic for harp. You should use a HiZ mic (or an inline transformer) if you are plugging in to a guitar amp or a PA with a HiZ input, in turn you want a LowZ mic for a typical balanced XLR input in most sound reinforcement equipment. It is a matter of matching signals, not the mics function. Your 545 can be used for both, 545's are switchable. Stock factory 57's and 58's are LoZ only, but you can use an inline transformer if you need to plug a LowZ mic in to a guitar amp or other HiZ input (some really old PA's are HiZ). A 57 would also work well for playing off mic, I prefer the wind filtering of a 58. The counterfeits are because they can build a counterfeit in China for very cheap and sell it for Shure prices. They are supposed to be quite common on eBay, I would buy from an authorized Shure dealer or an individual that you trust. 545's and 565's were the 57's/58's of the 60's and early 70's, I've played off mic with both, you could just wire your 545 LowZ, plug in to some clean amplification (like a PA, but there are bass and acoustic guitar amps with LowZ inputs, along with the Quilter amps), put the mic in a stand and play what you have, you might be surprised how clean it would sound, likewise you can take a 58 out of the stand and cup it and you would still get some of that cupped mic sound. Experiment, find out for yourself. If you watch the video on YouTube of Butterfield at Monterey, if I remember correctly he is playing off mic through a 545, the same model mic that he typically used plugged in to a Super Reverb for the cupped blues sound. I have no personal experience with the Fireball, but have heard great things from many about those mics.
James D Hoskins

----- Original Message ----- From: "John" <johnatjumpjiveandswing@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 7:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] mic. advice

Hi. James & other advisors, thankyou very much for your advice based on your own experience, the only reason that I have not so far bought
a Shure SM58 is that I thought that mics. for harp had to be High impedance and for vocals low impedance and that
the SM58 was a vocal mic. am I wrong in this train of thought?or is it not as critical a requirement as I believed ?

regards -------------- John

----- Original Message ----- From: "James D Hoskins" <jameshoskinz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>