Re: [Harp-L] Classical Sub-30

My 2 cents...

First of all, why make an exception for a particular player? Do you think Howard's classical stuff sounded great on his first try? Everyone's got to start somewhere. Second of all, I'm not sure why the "classical world" (as if it spoke with a single voice) should accept any kind of harmonica playing Bach -- it's not an instrument Bach wrote for. But that doesn't mean it's not a cool thing to do -- just that some folks are not very open-minded.

If a particular attempt sounds bad, it deserves criticism. But to tell folks they shouldn't attempt to play something because it's the wrong instrument for it (or because they're not Howard) seems over the top to me. It's just music. Bad intonation, to my ears, sounds bad regardless of genre. Playing chromatic music well on a diatonic instrument is not easy. It's also not easy on a theremin. But when someone does it really well, it can be all the more remarkable, knowing how difficult it is.

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com