From: Paul Bowering <paul_bowering@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2012 9:32 PM
Subject: Re:[Harp-L] Lo D Auto Valve Triple Reed Harmonica

Another inventive approach to employing enabler reeds. Richard, you made a triple reed version. I'm wondering if a version that provides an auxiliary/enabler reed for each main Blow and Draw reed would work:

1) Top plate regular Blow reed and enabler draw reed.
2) Bottom plate regular Draw reed and enabler blow reed.
3) Valve main Blow and Draw reeds to conserve air.
4) Set enabler reeds with zero offset.

Some folks have complained about the new SUB30's low octave. I don't (yet) have one but it is my understanding that the Blows are okay because the Draw reeds are valved. The problem comes with the Draws because too much air lost through the additional enabler reed. With the proposed above both Blow and Draw are valved yet each has a dedicated enabler reed allowing for traditional  blues bends. Air would always hit one reed with standard gapping and two more with zero offset. I think it would be reasonably airtight. Not quite a regular diatonic sized harp but closer than the XB40. Might you even be able to get rid of the horizontal divider of the Auto-Valve comb?