Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Cleaning harmonicas

Larry:

Brasso's a bit harsh to use on reed plates even if you're super careful
(and even the British Brasso which I grew up using, imo). It was one of my
many  chores as a kid to polish 'everything' so I guess I'm stuck always
preferring a gleaming brass finish. Seems you too like brass to look its
best.<G> What I like about MAAS is that it works on ALL metals as well  as
plexiglas and glass, so won't harm or scratch. Just the tiniest amount  (on the tip
of an orange stick--for example), and then rubbed around the entire  edges
of the reed plates reapplying as necessary and buffing with a  cloth-wrapped
orange stick. I use small pieces cut out of old white t-shirts or  Scott's
Raggs for polishing and spend a LOT of time buffing so the shine does  tend
to last. Best I've found.

Simichrome seems to be fairly similar to MAAS (based on other people's
description), but I'm happy with this since I also use it on most of my
jewelry.

I polished up somebody's 280 chromatic at a SPAH 3 or so years ago --just
to show him how well it worked (and how much better his chromatic could look
and  play 'unstuck') and drew a small crowd outside the Hotel who were
quite  impressed. For my own personal taste I always wipe down with alcohol
afterwards  and have even followed occasionally with slightly soapy  water with
rinsing and drying immediately (on disassembled parts). Water  tends to bead
up on the finish once it's buffed sufficiently. So MAAS protects  the
undersides of the cover plates from any further rusting--even those  which
previously had such issues.

Works for me--your mileage may vary. Haven't tried the Liquid Glass which
sounds intriguing!

Elizabeth

PS: Could one follow the Kaboom with Dawn as a follow-up to remove the last
 vestiges of the taste? One product to dissolve the caked-on 'gunk' and the
 other to clean up the rest?  Remember too, Jason's harps got far  more of
a work-out in a week than most other players' instruments do in  months.

"Message: 9