Re: [Harp-L] Innapropriate palying

I have a friend who lives near me that is a truly great harmonica player, those of you that have attended SPAH and been around for years would know him. I have been told by many common friends that he, as an enthusiastic young player, gussed and actually pushed his way on stage with big name and locals alike many many times long before he even was a very good player. He is a forceful personality and quite a character. We hung out for a while a few years ago, went out listening to our favorite locals, spent an evening with Billy Branch, Mark Hummel, I saw him at a Hummel blow off a couple of years ago, have seen him at various local shows, but I have never seen him pull out a harp at anyone's gig until invited. He grew up, we all should. I admit the David Grisman story surprised me, but I wonder how he feels about that today.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn Weiser" <banjoandguitar100@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "The Iceman" <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2012 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Innapropriate palying

________________________________
From: "mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: The Iceman <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "banjoandguitar100@xxxxxxxxx" <banjoandguitar100@xxxxxxxxx>; "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2012 10:07 PM

Iceman
I don't think anyone is going to change your mind about Gussin Bro...

But I think the majority see it as never a nice thing....unless a comfortable invitation is involved.

Back when I was a violin hack I would sit in my seat at a concert and my girl would hold my hand to keep me from " air bowing "

We all feel the urge...

Mike Wilbur

Mike-

Seriously, I note the near- universal agreement on this and it is important and instructive to know people's opinions here. But check this out-in around 1972 I went to see the bluegrass band The Country Gentlemen at NYU downtown in NYC. There was this skinny longhair sitting next to me playing mandolin in his seat before the show started. I thought that's OK, but then he played along with the opening act, and then played along with the headliners. I thought it a bit strange, but the guy played really great. Turns out it was David Grisman, one of the world's best known and admired bluegrass pickers. He had already played on the album "American Beauty" by the Grateful Dead. No one shushed him, either. You can certainly question if it was appropriate, but again, so much for the argument that the best players would never do such a thing.

Glenn Weiser