Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Inappropriate harmonica [long]

two more cents;
I have to agree with all the stories regarding gussing…
and have my own regarding one such aggressive gent
who after blowing first position high notes all night…
regardless of key, from the back of the room and getting
fully lubricated …he stormed the rather high stage…
grabbing the mike stand as he barely made the wall (stage)

Still playing on my bullet I stepped forward and pressed  my foot
in his chest and and  he sank backwards…
This being a local bar ( one reserved for folks already with DUI's)
The crowd grabbed him and moved him toward the door…
in their own friendly way…
but up until he stormed the stage they had been encouraging him.

My bandmates were oblivious to it all…and wondered why
I was so shaken by it…
Truth is….I heard every single note he played from 40 feet away…
with a loud band playing.
It threw me off and I hated it…

But alas ..my point…
Every guy who ever broke my equipment…( happened last month …music stand got crushed )
or shattered a hand made harmonica case ( Koa wood)…got tangled in the cords…
wanted to make an announcement right in the middle of a song…etc ..etc…
Was someone who was enthusiastic about the music …caught up in the moment so to speak.

So I always try to remember …
If you get to mad about this…you are just looking bad to your fans…( sometimes..fan)
Cut them a little slack and they will keep buying booze and keeping the doors open.

One such gusser…surprised me the other day…
He showed up and I cringed …( memory from 10 years ago)
and produced and nice harmonica case with all the keys and politely
told me he had gotten the Jerry Portnoy  instructional CD I had suggested and studied it…
I asked him if he would like to sit in and he declined…( was not drinking either)
we sat outside on the break and he showed me a thing or two….
Gus had gotten game…
who would have guessed.

Grant Walters ( the other Grant)