[Harp-L] Re: Gussing

Can't say I ever did it in public.

Had a guy do it at one of my gigs last winter.

We played a 2 story restaurant. Their was a blues guitarist playing for a private party upstairs that had an open floor plan. We could hear him and a harp player playing while setting up for our gig directly below.

Later in the evening we find the harp player wasn't on the gig upstairs. He was the owners brother who happened to be in town and felt he could jump in and play since his brother owned the restaurant.
The guy was in his late 50's and should have had better sense. The guy missed our first set while drinking up some courage for what was to follow He came back during the 2nd set and parked his butt in front of me
and proceeded to play along with the songs. He had a couple harps so he worked at finding the song keys. By about the 5th song he had his courage on. Rather then asking to sit in he jumped up in the middle of
a song and started to play along on my vocal mic. I just stepped aside because I wasn't the one to book the gig. I watched for the bandleader to motion me to remove him but he just laughed so I left him there and I didn't play at all.

Several times the singer tried to go back to the vocals but he just kept wailing on the harp. Finally I took my 545 and gave him a couple woodpecker chops to the back of the head to stop playing so the singer could finish out the song.
I guess he was happy to just play on one song and left the stage when it was over. Had I known we weren't planning on booking there again i would have tore him a new one. FDB!

Take Care
Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com