[Harp-L] Oh those overblows...

Chuck Linville wrote:
"...1) When I blow in holes 8, 9, and 10 and bend the note DOWN, is that
"overblowing?" 2)I assume that it's at least possible to overblow on an
unmodified harmonica, yes? My harps are 90% Special 20's  Thanks folks
-chuck"

Holes 8, 9, and 10 when blowing and bending down are blow bends.  Overblows
mean bending the pitch up as on holes 4, 5, and 6.  Hole 6 seems to be
where people usually start to learn overblows.  First learn to do the blow
bends on 8, 9, and 10 before the overblows.

When you have that working, try the same technique on 6.  Michael Peloquin
suggested this to me, descending from hole 10 to hole 6.  If it starts to
squeal you might be getting close.  The air flow is downward.  Chris M.
taught this at SPAH in 2008 and had us practice with a short piece of a
soda straw in our mouth, blowing down, then switching to hole 6.   It has
come together for me with practice, and I do this regularly now.  Hole 6 is
handy in blues lines.

You can do it on a stock Special 20, but it is easier if the harp gaps are
adjusted tighter, since you are choking the blow reed to make the draw reed
sound when you overblow.  If you set the gap too tight, it will choke when
you blow hard in regular play.  The better your technique gets, the easier
to do it on a harp that is not set up for overblows.  Overdraws are not
something I do (yet?).

Hopefully you will get responses from highly skilled overblow players that
will add to, or correct any errors in the above.

Doug S.