[Harp-L] cross tuned chromatic machines

Here's why I don't use cross tuned chromatics if it can be avoided:

audible bottom line:

http://passtheblame.com/cxgtest.mp3

turn the vol. down at first , I may have recorded it a bit too loudly, and you may want to save your ears for later in life...

I wrote that music especially for this test, but if any of you want to play it (not for profit)  I suppose it's ok with me...

the KLUNKS between the samples, however, are copyrighted...

the order is obvious.. cross, KLUNK, straight, KLUNK, and cross.... happen to be cx12 and hohner 270 deluxe, but the same sound happens between notes on all my cross tuned instruments... such as a couple of 64's.... one straight tuned 64 doesn't have that funny sound.

rumor has it that a lot of music happens between the notes, as it were.... how one gets from one note to the next
the cross tuned instruments add non-musical content to that space
especially when close miked. I've not tested the sound when not close miked, since the sound I hear live when playing it is distracting  enough that I don't put any more time into it....

Thanks for Joe and Vern's explanations of why these instruments are produced and the advantages and disadvantages....
hadn't thought of the air tight thing. (I use those three words because I'm not sure that "airtightedness" is a word, but it should be)

I could see using cross tuned instruments for some types of music... baroque  .. more 'vertical' music....but not in general....

ok, I'm done, and have a dozen cx12's that I'll save for emergencies.....and parts, if they fit.

jk