[Harp-L] Re: Race, Gender and Blues

This is my two cents...

We are living in 2012, right? Who cares if someone is black, white, green, purple or even yellow with pink dots? Play that music, please!

I've been to a lot of Festivals here in Italy and Europe (as listener) and I've seen a LOT of Black musicians playing SO BAD that I was like: "what the hell is going on here?". I've seen A LOT of American Blues men playing really bad. A lot of European musicians (even from Italy ;) ) playing GREAT BLUES.

What I'm trying to say here is "why don't we focus on music instead of color of musicians?". I think the point is that Blues Music needs some kind of "upgrading". What really pisses me off, as musician, AND as listener is to listen to another version of Caldonia or Hootchie Cootchie Man played trying to imitate the Masters. There's a lack of personality and respect for the music, at the first place, sometimes. That's why, I suppose, it's a small market...it's becoming kinda old...take a look around...all other genres are evolving in some way (catching design for posters, CDs, websites, get influenced by other stuff...you know it better than me) Blues music (not EVERY artist, BUT a lot of it) are stuck in the same old stuff...ok I'm getting off topic. Let's make it simple:

Are you a good musician? Play!
Are you a bad musician? Play more!
Are you black? Are you white? Let's go to have a beer and jam, bro'!

Don't get me wrong, it's just my countless opinion :) Hope y'all on the list are doing ok! A big hug from Italy

Riccardo Grosso
Viale Venezia 33
31015 - Conegliano (TV)
ITALY