  From: Boogieman Peeps
  To: Rob Paparozzi
  Cc: Howard Herman ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:43 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Race, Gender and Blues

  Not to stir the pot on race regarding the blues, but............... if I were a black blues musician and I was overlooked for a festival that was chocked full of white blues artist that I am just as good or perhaps better than -- I would be "upset".  I get aggravated at the news channels giving the gigs to British figureheads to do my news, entertainment, business,etc.  I fail to understand why black artists would NOT be offended.  It's not authentic American news when you hire a foreigner to my land tell me the news in my backyard.

  My original post was directed to the fact that hip hop and rap are taking the masses attention and therefore the black artists are attracted to the money - reducing the number of black artist in the blues -- while white blues artists and particularly female blues artists are seeming to thrive in the much smaller blues market.  It also seems to me that hip hop and rap are actually the blues of black society today.  There are plenty of black bluesmen available for hire today that know how to play the blues.  There is plenty of room in a festival at the very least.

  Now surely I have not offended anyone by speaking freely?  It seems someone is always offended these days about something.  I'm okay with your opinion.  Mine are seldom correct anyway, but they are mine until you convince me otherwise.

  Boogie