Re: [Harp-L] was Our Motto, now duct taping harps

I was flattered to hear my words chiseled in granite at the entrance to New York Harbor.
I read this again, and I caught the duct-taping Marine Bands to change the tone. Now, pray tell, where did you guys put this duct tape on these Marine Bands? Whatever you did, you changed air flow. I'd like to know a little more about what you did, for historical purposes. I do a lot of history pages on my Web site and one I am working on is harmonica modifications through history. Any time before 1 second ago is history in my book.

David Payne
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

>>> "eskeene@xxxxxxxx" <eskeene@xxxxxxxx> 23/05/2012 5:22 >>>

"But through all this, we never, as a community waiver from the Richter style, Richter
note placement harmonica ."- Rick Dempster This needs to be chiseled in granite and placed at the entrance to New York harbor. That aside, I must dissent. I got my first Marine Band in the '60's (it cost $2.25), and though I got pretty good at "choking" out the missing tones, in time, I picked up other instruments and relegated the harmonica to an occasional color instrument. The discovery of Eddie Clarke and the Murphy's with their command of the chromatic and the alternate scale arrangements available now on the diatonic really rekindled my interest. Way back when, no one I knew could afford a Hohner chromatic. We had some horrible Japanese chromatics that leaked air like a screen door (the closest we ever came to customizing was wrapping duct tape around a Marine Band to make it mellower). I did have a Koch once-but once again, it has that dadgum Richter scale. it is true that without the Richter scale  the harmonica isn't truly harmonic, but I
salute those innovators who have cast aside its chains. Never before have so many owed so much to so few.  Cheers, emily
53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4fbbecb14ff2d15c5300st01vuc