Subject: [Harp-L] Slide lubricant (was Koch Chromatic)

Chuck:

I'm SO with Gary on this. He's not the only customizer/harmonica
repairperson to feel this way. It's a lousy job to work on other folks'  harmonicas,
especially the really filthy ones. ANY lubricant automatically  attracts
dust, dirt or worse. If you're not cleaning it out regularly yourself  and plan
to send it to someone else to work on, then don't use anything which  could
work its way into the reeds or windsavers because you just might find the
repairperson returning it to you with a 'no thanks'. No harmonica
repairperson gets rich doing what they do for a living. Trust  me.

When chromatic players talk about using anything other than water as a
slide lubricant (technically you shouldn't need anything at all if it's kept
scrupulously clean) they're talking about MINISCULE amounts of these
substances..maybe something like astroglide (yes, sold just for this purpose),  but
such a tiny dab you scarcely see it. What would work BETTER for the slide
assembly is to first make sure all its parts are clean and straight  (with
no debris impeding the assembly itself) and no build up of saliva salts or
crud (sorry, have to call it what it is), then make sure the  mouthpiece
isn't over-tightened onto the chromatic (a major cause  of slides hanging up:
EVERY chromatic newbie overtightens. IF it still  isn't moving smoothly enough
it might need deburring or gasketing. I suspect a  bent slide assembly by
your mentioning the slide being off target. It was likely  dropped at some
point. That's enough to crimp any one of the MP parts to hang up  the slide.

My windsavers have never 'clicked'. What they do when  they're beginning to
stick together (the bane of chromatic players) is  'pop'. (If you're
hearing a metallic click it's not the windsavers, but  something else). There are
countless discussions on how to clean them --Dave  Payne's talked about this
at length and has shown it in videos: a piece  of wet brown paper dabbed
onto bar soap slid between the two layers of the  windsaver. Sissi Jones
describes this as well.

If you go to Hohner's website they have an excellent new series of videos
hosted by Steve Baker showing step by step just how to maintain and solve a
lot  of these chromatic problems. I posted a link to ALL of them within the
last  couple of months. You can look in the harp-l archives if you prefer.

But Koch's aren't supposed to HAVE windsavers anyway. Now somebody could
have so disliked the inherent airiness of your instrument and installed
valves, but afaik they don't come with them stock. (Today one can valve just
about any harmonica--or half-valve it - all for interesting tunings, so
finding  valves is no indication of how the instrument came from the factory). I
have a  Koch and it's in as pristine condition as when I first got it years
ago. Tried  it once, hated it and put it away. It sucks air - literally. I
guess it's a  decent enough instrument for those who live in frigid conditions
and want to  play outdoors --but that old cartoon about the kid with his
tongue frozen  to the telephone pole always flashes into my brain whenever I
visualize trying  to play it in such adverse conditions. I'd rather wait to
play until I'm in the  car with the heater on (as a passenger), and my
CX-12's and me are sufficiently  warmed up. It's one reason why there's an
on-going discussion of 'the best  portable heating method for chromatics' on the
slidemeister website.

If you want a decent ten-hole chromatic (I still play mine though not
often), you could get a Hohner 260. Someone's selling one on EBay new old stock
beginning at $9.99 starting today.

Elizabeth

"Message: 11