Re: [Harp-L] Koch Chromatic

Hohner sells this harp, which may be the original layout used for the chromatic harmonica before the solo-tuned layout was introduced. It was sold -- and probably is still available -- without windsavers.  Half-valving will fix most of the air leakage. If you fully valve it, you will forfeit the ability to bends notes like a standard Marine Band because the valves/windsaver prevent the interaction between the blow/draw reeds needed to bend. Spit will lubricate the slide. Most other stuff just gums it up.

Hohner also sells the SlideHarp, which is virtually the same Richter layout that is half-valved. The valves (aka windsavers are used on the first six draw reeds and four blow reeds. This cuts down on air leakage and allowed two reed bends like those on the standard Marine Band and adding  blow bends of at least a half-step on the first six holes and draw bends on the top four holes.

Koch and SlideHarps were once available in keys of G and C but not only in C.

I don't know the advantage of the Koch over the SlideHarp except the lack of windsavers/valves that can never go bad. Both harps bend equally well. Both lack the A note in the first octave without bending.

The advantage of the layout is the elimination of double C's in the solo tuned layout, which some people find confusing.  and offers the same note bending and layout most people are familiar with. With the solo-tuned chromatic, you have to deal with the double Cs in every octave. Also, it offers "given" notes at the press of button instead of a bent note. This layout narrows the spread for some octaves.

So if you need some precise pitch for some melody work this might be the harp to use for those phrases that would otherwise require intensive bending for the main notes.

Hope this helps.