[Harp-L] "Race, Gender, & the Blues"

   Interesting article on the annual blues conference held at Dominican
University over the weekend just outside of Chicago.  This year's topic was
a hot-button one for sure: "Race, Gender & the Blues".  Normally I wouldn't
post it except that most of the people quoted in the piece are harmonica
players of some renown: Sugar Blue, Billy Branch, and Matthew Skoller.  And
the harmonica in the picture looks interesting; I can't identify it or
figure out what use it would have in a blues band.  Anyway, worth a peek
unless you are easily agitated by discussions of politics or race in
music.  Then, simply skip it.  I'm not interested in elevating anyone's
blood pressure.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/music/ct-ent-0521-blues-conference-20120521-7,0,4082594.column
.

Mick Zaklan