Re: [Harp-L] XB-40

On May 18, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Chuck Linville wrote:

> Howdy gang,

Hey!

> I'm new.

No you're not. You weren't born yesterday. :)

> Been at it for about 3 years, and deciding to try to get serious (oops, there went my life. LOL) I bought an XB-40 from Ebay awhile back 'cuz it was relatively cheap. It's an F# low. I've been playing it for awhile, and I'm just not sure what to think.

Uh-huh, I know THAT tune.

> I will say that although it's interesting to be able to bend every note, I am having trouble controlling it. It's like it's almost TOO easy to bend, at least for me and my ability at this time.

Ok, in MY opinion..and this is only MY opinion, the XB-40 IS too easy to bend. It is SO good a design that it is actually TOO good. And I have been playing a lot longer than you. I am so used to forcing bends out from the beginning of playing to now, where I can get them on a whisper, that my embochure is used to where it has to be to GET the bends. Even spot on and on the fly with the bend already IN the note when I hit it. The XB is (shall we say) already AHEAD of me and getting me a bend even before I am consiously trying for one. Consequently, I am bending notes I don't even intend to bend in the first place.

> So I'm just wondering if there is a general consensus on these instruments.

Right, see above.

> Do you think a "higher" key would be more controllable?

No. The control is you.

> Ultimately I am wondering if I should invest the time necessary to get control of this thing.

In your case...probably. You are young, you are already displaying a behavior pattern of passion for harp, and if you have the time (and patience) why not go for it.
smo-joe