RE: [Harp-L] Best way to play Ashokan Farewell

> Hey Steve, I can’t honestly say I’ve tried a bunch of positions/tunings on this, but 1st position works really well for me. I get more than enough of the melody, just add your own dash of soul/taste. Played it with a fiddle player, and was able to play some harmony with him also. He loved it. I’m sure some of the more folk oriented players here on harp-l can give you some good tips...........it’s a beautiful melody.>
> Good luck, and have fun!
>
> Brian

Cheers, Brian. I am a folk-orientated sort of chap as it happens! The issue with Ashokan for a diatonic player is that pesky C natural. If you're playing in first position you can't get that note on your D harp as you can't bend that 7-blow down. I tend to play the tune as far as that C nat, then break into some soulful harmonising... ;-)