[Harp-L] Suggestion for playing "Ashokan Farewell"

I play Ashokan Farewell on an "A" Circular Tuned harp, which has "D" major as the underlying key.
All of the notes in the song are available without any bending, except for the "C" (flatted 7th) in
measure 27. That requires a half-step draw bend, to be held for two beats (the song is a waltz in
3/4 time), which is easy to do on a Circular Tuned harp. I use the second octave as the base
reference, so that I can drop down for the really low notes on the low end of the harp, using hole
1 blow ("A", the 5th of the "D" major scale). The Circular Tuned harp gives you the range to lay
out the song across the entire harp.

References for the melody notes can be found by Googling for "Ashokan Farewell melody notes".
There are various arrangements; you'll have to pick one that most closely fits your conception of
how to play the song. There are also MIDI versions if you want to learn to play it by ear.

If you want a download of a sheet music arrangement in a specific key, try:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0054224

The download is $3.95 and can be bought in a specified key.

I've got a copy of the "official" sheet music here somewhere in the Clutter Mansion, but can't find it.

It's a beautiful song, and is a joy to play. Kudos to Jay Unger for capturing the "feel" of the Civil War!

Crazy Bob