Re: [Harp-L] The difference between Gwen Foster's Tongue Switch and a regular tongue switch

I've been doing this switch since I was a teenager. Little Walter used it on "Oh Baby (You're going to Miss Me When I'm Gone)" and the alternate take titled "I  Love You So."  Dennis Gruenling does one of these tunes and, I believe, uses the technique as well. You can hear it on my recording of "Windermere" starting at 3:49
http://winslowyerxa.com/northsamples/Windermere_inF.mp3

The specific switch we're talking about here is one where you have three holes in your mouth and keep the middle hole blocked while you alternate between the left and right holes.

Because of the small size of the mouth opening, pointing the tongue upwards instead of straight forward or down seems to be the best way of blocking such a narrow spread.

I (and Little Walter) also use a wider version of this right-left alternation that spreads across four or five holes. For this version you can poit your tongue forward or down. I've been calling this technique a shimmer in writing about it over the last 20 years, and I notice that others have picked up on this term as well.

Foster's use of the three-hole shimmer has a very aggressive rhythmic texture, while Walter's was more smooth sounding.

Winslow

VOTE Winslow Yerxa for SPAH president, with L J Atkison for vice president
Winslow for SPAH President (Facebook)

Winslow4Prez (YouTube)
Chair, SPAH entertainment committee
Chair, SPAH awards committee
Member, SPAH convention planning committee
Staff, SPAH Convention event operation