[Harp-L] "I don't feel ready" to join a Jam

"In my world, the best place to start is always the melody."

Hard to disagree with this premise, but, I happen to think playing accurate melodies can be difficult and certainly very challenging for a beginner, especially at a jam where the tempo may be very brisk and the material unfamiliar.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong with riffing or vamping off the groove, even if you can't nail the melody. A beginner can manage to sound passable playing rhythm oriented licks, but if you don't nail a recognizable melody accurately, you won't sound any good whether you are a beginner or not.

Another thing: Playing rhythmically does not necessarily mean playing chords. Try hard to KEEP GOOD TIME. Feel the beat! If a player who is unsure of what he is doing can cop the groove and not overplay, he can usually get by with reasonable success. LISTEN TO THE DRUMMER. If you've never played with drums before, it may be seem overwhelming, but relax--it's actually easier to play WITH a drummer because the drums lay down a rhythmic structure you can work around and off of which means you can actually play less and still sound ok. Simple repeating rhythmic licks are perfectly acceptable. You can always go on to build from there as you gain more experience.

FWIW,

JP