From: ndavid.coulson <ndavid.coulson@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: michael rubin <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>; The Iceman <icemanle@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Mar 31, 2012 10:13 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] positions you can use on diatonic

I'm trying to understand this myself. Is there a difference between "playing in positions", where, for example, on a C harp you play the notes of the C scale but starting with the root note of G (Mixolydian mode of C), and playing in the KEY of G on a C harp? Maybe Michael is describing the former and Larry is describing the latter. In other words, when playing positionally aren't you primarily using and emphasizing all the notes of the 1st position (major) scale regardless of what position you're playing in, which is what creates distinctive sound of the mode? Whereas when you play in a key, you're adding the sharps and flats that enable you to play a major (or minor) scale in that particular key, regardless of the key of the harp you're playing. Please tell me if this is wrong. I'm not sure if my grasp of music theory is correct!

David